Wednesday 5 September 2012

Travelling Thoughts

Buses. Lots of people use them and honestly I don't think I could get by without having a bus to go to work (besides not physically being able to get to work, but that's beside the point...)

I really relish that 45 mins or so that I'm being chauffeured around in, I try to ignore the fact that I'm paying for the privilege though! I can catch up on those last 40 winks or get engrossed in a book to the point I rest having to get off the bus. On more than one occasion I may have applied my makeup on there too.

I do have some pet hates for travelling on public transport though and I bet plenty of other people have the same issues :-

1. People With Severe Smell Issues:

Really. What is the etiquette here? Is it acceptable to tell someone they smell offensive and ask them to sit elsewhere especially if they sit beside you? I remember on journey watching a girl physically hold her nose when a particular person known for having a pretty horrendous miasma.
If its a short bus journey then suck it up I suppose bit what if you're stuck there for an hour?!

2. The Loud Phone Talkers

Always happens when I forget my earphones! You know the kind, Dom Joly-esque HELLO conversations at full volume about how shit their day was, what's for dinner and sometimes some pretty personal stuff! No need for it, lower your voice an few decibels and that goes for the others sitting across the aisle having a loud conversation about "who fucked who"!

3. People who sit beside you when there's clearly free seats available!

Now. I have a thing about personal space. I don't like being touché by strangers, however on public transport I accept this is, at some times, inevitable. But when someone plonks themselves down beside you, who you don't know, when there are empty seats and I don't mean 1 seat beside someone else, I mean actual sets of seats where they could sit on their own, available do my head in! Especially when they then try to strike up a conversation.


There are others, so many others, that annoy me but let's not turn this into a whine! Do you have any pet peeves on public transport?

1 comment:

  1. i hate folks with hyper active wains. wains which keek over the end of the seat at you or rip about the aisle. parents curtail them wains!

    ReplyDelete