Friday 7 September 2012

Excitement!

It feels like Christmas in my house right now. I'm excitedly preparing, making packed lunches and generally getting myself all worked up for the highlight of my year.

I'm not even joking. There is no event more hotly anticipated than the one that is about to commence this weekend.


Ladies and Gentlemen, it is time for.........




*cue applause and squeals of excitement*

The NI International Airshow is my favourite event. I love the roar of the jet engine, the whine of the turbo prop and the sheer thrill of watching these absolutely beautiful machines thundering by. The "whip-whup-whup" of the rotors of the Lynx and Gazelles, the scream of a high speed pass as the Red Arrows whip past, inches from each other, wingtip to wingtip. My heart is starting to race right now at the thought if it!

This is an absolutely amazing event, for something that is free and such a crowd pleaser, it was under threat just a few years ago from lack of funding, luckily the council and various other companies realised what a fantastic tourist attraction this was and stepped up to the plate.

This year, there are even more displays, more daring, faster and some absolute beauties of planes - keep reading to find out what I think are the ones to watch for.......

1. The One. The Only. The Red Arrows.


*fangirl squealing*

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! My excitement cannot be contained, this is the Arrows only performance in the whole island of Ireland (north and south!) this year so really something not to be missed. I can only describe it as Ariel Ballet, think Darcey Bussell and the Royal Ballet. Graceful, synchronised and awe inspiring, all at speeds a hair lower that 645 miles per hour. An absolute MUST see. (They are only displaying on Saturday and subject to weather conditions.)

2. Belgian Air Force A109 Display Team 


For the first time in Northern Ireland ever, we will have the magical display from the Belgian Air Force. The very first year I ever went to the Airshow, there was an acrobatic display by a Merlin helicopter. I was entranced from the very first vertical climb and sadly they never came back. I am so excited to see a full on acrobatic display by a helicopter team I just can't even express it!

3. Battle Of Britain Memorial Flight - The Hurricane




Most people look forward to seeing the graceful old bird that is the Spitfire floating through the air serenely, like an ageing grand dame of the plane family, I however much prefer the sleeker harder lines of the Hurricane. She's not so intent of growing old gracefully, more with going out with a bit of a bang ;) (Sunday Only!)

4. Anatov AN2 with Poppy Drop



As part of the annual Memorial Service for all those who have been lost in War, the Antonov AN2 soars overhead, doing a slow lap of the bay, waiting for the last post to play as thousands of poppy petals drift gracefully from the sky blanketing the beach in this symbol of remembrance. Well worth a stop if you're about on the Saturday.

So thats my round up of my personal favourites. Are you going? What are you looking forward to seeing?

Keep watching for pictures of the day soon!

Tracy xx

No comments:

Post a Comment